100 teen!severus questions
Part 1: The Basics
1. What is your full name? Severus Tobias Snape
2. Where and when were you born? Spinner's End, January 9, 1960
3. Who are/were your parents? (Know their names, occupations, personalities, etc.) Eileen Prince Snape, sometime cleaning woman, arrogant, cold, disappointed, resentful, angry. Tobias Snape, sometime labourer, hard-working, despairing, cowed, resentful, angry.
4. Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like? No siblings.
5. Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people. I live in Spinner' End, with my parents. I live at Hogwarts, in Slytherin. I prefer the latter.
6. What is your occupation? Student, would-be Death Eater, Wizard, copy-editor
7. Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye color, style of dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks. 5'7"; 120lb; sallow skin; black hair; black eyes; charity clothes, save for my school clothes (still second-hand), though I am working on late 70s punk - all cast offs; no tattoos scars or marks - yet.
8. To which social class do you belong? Lower, but I Will change that.
9. Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses? No.
10. Are you right- or left-handed? Right handed.
11. What does your voice sound like? sometimes the old rural accent comes through, but I am learning to train it to make it smoother, more appealing.
12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently? Oh, really? *skeptical*; Go to Hell. *sub-vocal*; I hate you. *sub-vocal*; Leave me alone. I'm working/reading/studying *impatiently*
13. What do you have in your pockets? wand, knife, pencil, paper
14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics? furtive, quiet to the point of stillness
Part 2: Growing Up
15. How would you describe your childhood in general? Lonely. In general it was a waiting to grow up and away from my family and the other children.
16. What is your earliest memory? I remember my father carrying me on his shoulder to watch rugby with the family of one of his workmates, proud of me, and my mother coming after us to snatch me back, angry that I cheered with the others. And she beat me for being too noisy, but really even for being there and my father yelled at me as well, his face growing red, because she did.
17. How much schooling have you had? I am in 6th year at Hogwarts.
18. Did you enjoy school? Yes, the classes, the access to learning. No to the other students.
19. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities? Books, experimentation, listening, practising, revising
20. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them. No. No one was good enough. I liked the Clash, but they didn't want followers but independents.
21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family? I tried to avoid them. My parents tried to avoid their siblings. I was quiet with my cousins on the rare occasions I saw them, and dangerous enough to be avoided.
22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? A genius.
23. As a child, what were your favourite activities? Learning, watching, experimenting, inventing
24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display? I was quiet, patient, unapologetic, sad, frustrated, diligent, and I was brilliant. I was scornful and didn't try to hide it. I wanted a great deal and learned to hide it. Eventually I hid it even from myself.
25. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like? I had no friends, but I built the neighbour girl to one in my mind for she was a witch as I was a wizard. I was not popular despite accomplishment, or maybe because of it.
26. When and with whom was your first kiss? ahahahaha
27. Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity? Yes I am a (*&^%$ virgin - what do you think?
28. If you are a supernatural being (i.e. mage, werewolf, vampire), tell the story of how you became what you are or first learned of your own abilities. If you are just a normal human, describe any influences in your past that led you to do the things you do today. I'm a wizard, but too brilliant to be normal. I wanted to leave Spinner's End behind forever.
Part 3: Past Influences
29. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far? Coming to school.
30. Who has had the most influence on you? No one. Nietzsche?
31. What do you consider your greatest achievement? *confidential* I have some spells I am working on... I am brilliant at potions. They appreciate care.
32. What is your greatest regret? Being born.
33. What is the most evil thing you have ever done? I am NOT evil.
34. Do you have a criminal record of any kind? No.
35. When was the time you were the most frightened? I am not exactly frightened, more socially nervous and unsure. *sighs* Shy perhaps. I am frightened when I think I will fail at something. I hate to fail, and I resent it deeply when others ruin my plans with their own incompetence. I try to plan social interactions, hoping they will succeed, but I am afraid events will conspire against me, that people will blunder and what I have planned will be sidetracked or ignored. I build castles of conversations, but they often remain uninhabited. And I am always afraid that will be the case.
36. What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you? My clothes embarrass me. My parents and their irrational arguments and surliness embarrass me. My accent embarassed me. Everything I have not made embarrasses me about my life. And I Still make stupid mistakes. I disappoint myself.
37. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why? I would practice more to speak to people, to show them that I was interesting, that I had something to offer. I seem to stumble over words in my enthusiasm. I try to give moments of brightness, to show people the greatness that is magic, that is potions, but they are distracted by things that don't matter, small personal things. If I practice more, perhaps at school they would have liked me, wanted me, even if I had old clothes.
38. What is your best memory? The best memory is when my mother sat down with me one day and told me all about Hogwarts, about being a wizard, about Slytherin and the wizarding laws and that there were people like me, brilliant and... magic. The whole world opened to me. She gave me her books and I had something to hope for, something to work for, and a beautiful secret to hold and cherish. I was a wizard.
39. What is your worst memory? The worst memory is when my father broke my arm slamming me against the wall after my mother had given me her books and I told him how proud and excited I was that I could be a great wizard.
Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions
40. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic? optimistic in the long-term. pessimistic in the short-term, professionally optimistic, personally pessimistic.
41. What is your greatest fear? I am afraid of being my mother, or my father. I am afraid that instead of taking my mother's intelligence and my father's diligence, I shall take her viciousness and his despair.
42. What are your religious views? I don't think about it much. It is more of a muggle thing. I love my soul, for I know I have one. *bitterly* Someone has to love it.
43. What are your political views? Leave them to it.
44. What are your views on sex? Well, I can only hope that someday... I try not to think about it. No, that's not true. I think about it privately - too privately to tell You.
45. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable? Oh yes. It is acceptable if I don't get caught. Of course, I have not Actually killed anyone.
46. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing any human being could do? Be stupid and lazy.
47. Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love? No. I did, but I was wrong.
48. What do you believe makes a successful life? Brilliance, work and connections.
49. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)? I look within myself for shards of myself and show those to others. They are always honest, but only fragments. The greater part is loneliness and resentment and little memories I hold carefully so that no one harms them. Ever.
50. Do you have any biases or prejudices? Yes. I hate everyone.
51. Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it? I will not... no. There is nothing I would not do.
52. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)? If you will not go to extremes for whatever you want, you will never have anything.
Part 5: Relationships With Others
53. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how? I treat others as they deserve, or as I need to treat them, or as I am moved to treat them. I always tell the truth. To learn from others, to accomplish goals, one must really feel friendship. I have learned to be what people wish me to be, reaching inside for little inspirations of fondness. But... they are true and so they last. I treat people differently at different times, depending on what I need.
54. Who is the most important person in your life, and why? I have not met the most important person in my life yet. Maybe it will be Voldemort. Maybe I can work with him. He is brilliant and he wants to change the world.
55. Who is the person you respect the most, and why? I want to respect Dumbledore. I want him to teach me, to help me to be a good person, to value me. But he doesn't see me, doesn't want me. How can I respect him when he doesn't wish to see beyond his precious lions. *bitterly, hurt, sorrowful, aggrieved*
56. Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend? Describe these people. If everyone is equal, everyone is my best friend and worst enemy.
57. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person. No. I have had none.
58. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened. I have, but I was not... right. I didn't plan well enough. I sabotaged myself.
59. What do you look for in a potential lover? Understanding. Similarities to me so they understand me. Intelligence. Diligence. A spark of... enchantment, happiness or a desire for happiness... Look, that is just not going to happen, all right?
60. How close are you to your family? I hate my family.
61. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not? You must be joking.
62. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help? Perhaps I might ask fellow Slytherins. Perhaps.
63. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why? No.
64. If you died or went missing, who would miss you? No one.
65. Who is the person you despise the most, and why? *considers, then considers some more, and again some more* I can't decide.
66. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict? I tend to argue with people. I try to agree with them, so they keep talking... until they hang themselves. I'm learning.
67. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations? I am more than capable of leading. But would any follow me, no matter how correct my ideas and plans? Honestly, I work best alone.
68. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not? Not really. I prefer to work independently.
69. Do you care what others think of you? *looks, almost stricken, almost says 'No'* Yes, I want them to recognise me and respect me. I want them to like me.
Part 6: Likes And Dislikes
70. What is/are your favorite hobbies and pastimes? I don't have time for hobbies and passtimes. but I like to walk, and I like to run. I like to listen to music.
71. What is your most treasured possession? My wand, of course.
72. What is your favorite color? Black.
73. What is your favorite food? Juicy steak, with rich buttery mashed potatoes, an almond glaze, asparagus, mushrooms with garlic, a salad with flowers and tomatoes, a cream dressing, chilled tomato soup, little pickles, horseradish, wine, a cake with fruit and ice-cream... I've never had that, but someday I shall.
74. What, if anything, do you like to read? I like to read books about magic. Textbooks, treatises, instructional books, theory.
75. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, movies, art, etc.)? I like almost all music, almost all art. Punk is a release, freedom, railing against imposition, a shout, a rage, a release of pain and an expression of hate. I've not seen many movies. My mother wouldn't let my father take me. She said they were for muggles and I was better, when my father got home, he my was angry as well. *clutches sleeves as if to protect the old bruises*
76. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit? I smoke when I can get away with it. I drink when I can get away with it. I do not want to quit.
77. How do you spend a typical Saturday night? Studying, working, inventing. Or... I like to go to muggle punk concerts when I can.
78. What makes you laugh? You do. Sometimes... something is so beautiful it makes me feel like laughing... not often, but sometimes when I am alone, I see something outside, or I remember or think that something could be wonderful, or if a potion works perfectly, or if I have invented or discovered something new, refined something... *smiles secretly inside himself*
79. What, if anything, shocks or offends you? Stupidity offends me. Wasting time offends me. Laziness offends me. Inattention offends me. Lack of vision offends me. Lack of ambition offends me. Carelessness offends me. People waffling on about their boring lives offend me. People sitting smug with their kind parents, their money, their nice clothes, their birthdays and presents and letters and friends, whispering together and giggling and pointing and laughing and talking about people they are in loooove with, as if they know what love is. *looks vaguely ill* All this offends me, but I smile and am patient, even manage to be interested so I learn about them. How can I learn if I don't feel, how can I know what people are about, what motivates them, if I don't feel some shadow of sympathy? *frowns darkly*
80. What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself? I barely have time to sleep. *laughs hollowly*
81. How do you deal with stress? Stress! It is constant. I deal with it by trying to be Better, so that someday I will be appreciated, respected, honoured, and I will have a fine life with all the comforts I deserve.
82. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan? I plan. But I have to be ready to be spontaneous, because I have learned I cannot plan Everything.
83. What are your pet peeves? I hate being questioned, being taunted, for people to interrupt or thwart or prevent me from doing something better than whatever they have in mind.
Part 7: Self Images And Etc.
84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted? I am in school, my days are determined by classes, revision, lights out, meals. I am happy enough with my
85. What is your greatest strength as a person? Brilliance
86. What is your greatest weakness? Lack of positive social experience
87. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would come from a rich family that loved and admired me.
88. Are you generally introverted or extroverted? I am essentially introverted. Focused, independent. I can become animated when a subject demands enthusiasm.
89. Are you generally organised or messy? I am extremely well-organised.
90. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at. I am good at innovation. I am good at observing. I am good at analysing. I am poor at making myself seem appealing. I am poor at hiding my disdain when there is no need to do so. I am poor at making polite but meaningless noises.
91. Do you like yourself? Yes. I am going to be Great.
92. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons...) I do exactly what I think is best. I think of goals and work towards them. You can wait for something to happen, but it will never come to be. If you want something, you have to fight and wrest possibilities out of the air. You have to work hard to be good enough, to be ready. You have to seek people out, to present yourself and know what you are about so that they will see something in you to want or, even better, to need.
93. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime? I want to be a great wizard, recognised for my development of the magical arts. I want to have a place in the world, respect. I could organise things to make the whole world better for people who are as I am now. If I were powerful, well-known, rich, I could have the influence to do that.
94. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? In five years I will be twenty-two. That is not very old. Perhaps I shall be apprentice to a great wizard and we will collaborate together on new potions and spells until I am established enough to work and be respected in my own right that I might take on apprentices myself.
95. If you could choose, how would you want to die? I think I should like to die, not exactly in my sleep, for I would not want to miss it, but I should like to die relaxed and comfortable in bed. I should like not to be alone, but to have someone there, to care about me, to ease my way. Ideally. *his lip twists*
96. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left. I would write up as much as I can of what I have developed into a book, and I would send it to a publisher. That would take all of the time. While I am doing that I would brew a potion to make my passing easy, yet leave me alert so that I could write. I would set fireworks to go off into the air to mark my passing.
97. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death? Changing the world, so that people with brilliance, who work hard, would have a chance to be great, beyond the favour of people who exist only, without care or talent.
98. What three words best describe your personality? Brilliant, focused, lonely
99. What three words would others probably use to describe you? Furtive, sneaky, poor
100. If you could, what advice would you, the player, give to your character? (You might even want to speak as if he or she were sitting right here in front of you, and use proper tone so he or she might heed your advice...) Severus, please wait, just wait. Listen, but... don't give in, don't do anything irrevocable. Be patient. When you are older, it will be better. There will be a world of people and these will be nothing. You really are better.